Monday, October 27, 2008

And Just Like That

I gave a little presentation last week for members of the Chamber of Commerce. The subject: Marketing. The product: You. Whittled down to its essence, I talked about how it's the little things that seem to matter the most when forming a positive first impression. Do you look someone in the eye? Do you smile? Does your posture indicate empathy and interest when someone is speaking? Are you fully engaged? And most importantly, do you care about someone's well-being or are you only interested in you, you, you?

Nothing I said was of monumental consequence but in this dire economy it was good for the attendees to hear how the cheapest form of product marketing (you at your best) can actually build business. As the desserts were served, I walked around the room and found myself face to face with a non-believer.

"You mention the importance of the front desk greeting patients but it's really tough to expect someone to do all the work we're giving her and still have time to say hello," said the eye doctor, somewhat defiantly.

Got it. I haven't been to his office but I've been to the kind of office he's running. You walk in and you're met with a blank stare. A crooked finger tells you to step to the front desk to pick up the form sheet. The receptionist's obnoxious (and cretinous) ear bud encourages conversation but not with you. Am I the only one who has wondered if the doctor knew the kind of message his office is sending?

I know people like the doctor who rather than fight rude and dehumanizing behavior end up embracing it with their whacked out rationalizations. So I've got some news for you, doc: One of these days a patient will complain about your office to a friend who will tell her "My doctor's office is wonderful" and just like that your patient will bolt.

I know because I've done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment