Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More "ooh," s'il vous plait

Dear Blog, I am writing under the influence of Airborne, Contac and Luden's Cherry Cough Drops (don't you pine for the days of those chewy Smith Bros. cough lozenges that came in honey and cherry?) as my cold is in full throttle.

As the economy tightens like a too small pair of Spanx I am unable to sit back and watch my clients forget the cardinal rule of operating in modern society: The Spin is all.

I overhead a young man (in truth, the son of The Lord) tell a relative about his current stint of employment. In describing his internship, Viscount J. said "I'm working for a political website." Now that's absolutely true however it's not a political website, it's one of the internet's most prominent and respected political websites. Blue chip, in fact. And by omitting its name the Viscount missed an opportunity to add a bit of sheen or spin to his biography.

A client and I meet to discuss her personal narrative. What exactly does she tell people when she talks about her work? She admits to going micro (big thud) rather than emphasizing the razzle and the dazzle. She's got a terrific business but does she spin it? (Opportunities to stand out and be admired are missed.)

The monosyllabic does not substitute for energizing conversation. A plain "all right" does not advance an engaging and hopefully cross-referenced encounter. An in-depth accounting of business travails does not send my spirits soaring.

Am I advocating a gasbag approach to social discourse? Au contraire. But marketing is about differentiation and articulating the "ooh" in what you're doing. Put it out there for all to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment