Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Full Disclosure

People, if you feel you must write a book, let me give you some advice: Do it before you turn 57. Reason: Author's photo. And that's not all. After the pictures come back (and most were terrific), the photographer has their retouching department turn you into a fembot...so plastic you look otherworldly or at least Madison Avenue wordly where all the children are above average and no one past the age of 50 has a wrinkle on her face.

But I digress.

Now that the book is completed (save for the foreword but I'll leave that alone for now), I feel a strange sense of relief. I'm sorry, it's not strange at all. It's relief. Relief that I had the good sense to hire a nanny who not only whipped me when I was bad but also told me bedtime stories about how happy I would be when it was finished. Readers, if you don't know Susan Gedutis Lindsay, you are missing out on one of life's great experiences. A superb editor and marvelous human being. She made it happen. Yeah, yeah, I wrote the words but she punched up the copy, got rid of the nasty commentary (such a pity...it was all well-deserved) and voila! found the perfect designer, Megan Verdugo, who created the most adorable...I shouldn't be foaming at the mouth but the book really is terrific with illustrations by painter Susan Sugar. And available next month at Amazon. (Such shameless plugging...I guess I'm ready for my close-up now, Mr. DeMille.)

Which reminds me...if you're going to write a book, do it now, do it soon, do it before the grey hairs and the marionette lines settle in.

That's all.

2 comments:

  1. in a world gone clueless, i love to breathe your air!
    Susan Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I am so happy to have been a part of this process. I'm better in every way, for having worked with Ms. Fabulous herself! Look out world, Ellen is on the way...

    ReplyDelete