Thursday, July 31, 2008

There's Something About Isaac

Alex texted me last night to let me know he spotted fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi in the West Village. Normally spotting a designer wouldn't be worthy of a text message (to Mother) but he knows I have a soft spot for Isaac.

I met Isaac Mizrahi many years ago when he was holding trunk shows at Bergdorf Goodman, the luxurious department store in NYC. Maybe I should write "performing at trunk shows at Bergdorf Goodman" since Isaac is a born performer and loves entertaining people with his riffs, bonhomie and marvelous attitude towards life.

Isaac radiates energy. He finds the humor in the quotidian. And he knows how to create a relationship...a few years after that first encounter I was reading VOGUE on the train and realized he was referring to me in an article called "Altar-ed Chic." The story painted me as a neurotic but I had a good laugh and sent him the page to autograph (he did and sent it back to me).

You might think that someone like Isaac Mizrahi, a bona fide household name, might be a wee haughty but he's not because his power and influence comes from his unbelievable zest and panache. He doesn't hide his excitement or his passions under a bhurka...nor should anyone.

I think the days are waning when someone could project disinterest, jadedness and disdain and still be on a short-list for leadership positions and new opportunities. Today it's about your bandwidth -- how many people do you know and how well can you interact with them. Take a lesson from Monsieur Mizrahi -- beautiful tailoring, perfect manners and an exuberant attitude about a purposeful and cheerfully-driven life. I can't imagine a better look for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment