Thursday, September 18, 2008

More Oxygen, Please

Over morning ablutions (he shaving, me patching), the Lord High Executioner and I discussed modern day business behavior (i.e. boorish and rude behavior that is now classified as 'bottom line' managing). As someone who appreciates and even relishes urgency, I'll confess that I prefer my cut to the chase with a dollop of pretty please.

The Lord remarked, "it's not easy to find someone with technical competence who's also personable."

Yikes. Could he be right? If so, bombs away, my dears...kill them with kindness as I'm certain that someone with talent and a wonderful attitude is going straight to the top.

There have always been and always will be mood-disordered individuals who lead corporations to success. But everyone also knows that they inspire little loyalty, only fear. And my guess is that they don't have nearly as much fun as the leaders who get the vision thing and also develop the talent and energies of those around them. The best boss I had knew how to have fun even while meeting deadlines, soothing clients, bringing in the business and managing a staff. She did it all without the withering glances and fear-inducing scowls.

I'm one of those people who love to work hard with a little song in my heart. Laughter serves as my stimulant -- no matter how long the day and how much needs to be done, I need to find the joy in what I'm doing. And I'm not the only one.

Miss K. owns a charming boutique on the Boulevard Millburn. K. really knows her merchandise. She knows how to present her product. She's brilliant at sales. One would have to say she's technically competent at being a proprietess. But here's what makes her a phenomenon: she loves what she does. She's producing so much oxygen people stop in just to take a whiff.

I'm a great believer in options -- we all have choices in the way we run a business, sell a product, maintain relationships, lead an organization. For super performers like K., being technically competent is just one measurement of success and not the only reason for getting up in the morning and loving her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment